Tuesday, August 28, 2012

YiMT: Sweet Tooth -- All the cookies

I don't know what it is exactly that has driven me to make so many desserts lately, but I've made roughly two per week for the last month. To be fair, one is usually for the card night that my local Boston friends and I have every week, but the other one? Oh, just because I have flour and sugar and -- oh, are those chocolate chips? Definitely time to make something sweet. I've also spent some time perfecting recipes because I really wanted to share them with you all.

We're going to go through two recipes today that are variations on some very classic desserts: chocolate chip cookies and brownies. Let's get started!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I was in the seventh grade, I took an elective course at my middle school entitled "Wheel," or something along those lines, in which we had essentially three courses rolled into one. Coursework on technology, computers, and home economics was split into three even sections over the course of one academic year. Within the home economics class, we learned about sewing, interior design, and cooking, to name a few. The cooking bit was the most exciting part for us students, obviously, because what 12-year-old doesn't love food? And, hands down, the best recipe we made was the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I've held onto that recipe ever since the seventh grade. My family loves it, and it is so easy that a seventh grader could do it! But that said, I've always been somewhat apprehensive about using the 1/4 cup of shortening that the recipe calls for. Looking at shortening always makes me feel as though I'm going to develop arteriosclerosis at the age of 35. Eww. Sure, shortening is merely solidified vegetable oil. It could be a lot worse, I suppose. But in the interest of trying to be just a little bit healthier since I'm now living and cooking on my own, I really wanted to try something new.

A brief Google search yielded some interesting results. Fruit purees seemed to pop up on every page I clicked... with the caveat that I might completely change the flavor and texture of whatever I was baking. Because I'm a curious individual, and because I had bananas in my pantry, I decided to see exactly how the flavors and textures of these delectable cookies would change. Here are my results...

Ingredients:
(for approx. 16 cookies)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup (or more!) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup banana puree OR 2 Tbsp banana puree + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg

Rachel's Notes:
I always use a little more than 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Maybe closer to 1/3 cup. Depends on how I'm feeling. The difference in the amount of banana puree is up to you and your preferred cookie texture. Using banana puree will make your cookies fluffier than most cookies usually are. If you use the one-to-one substitution of puree for shortening (the recipe originally calls for 1/4 cup shortening), your cookies will end up tasting a little more like slices of chocolate chip banana bread. Which is still delicious. However, I prefer my cookies to be a little more dense, so going half-and-half with the puree and the butter works great! The cookie is still a little fluffy, but not in such a way that it no longer feels like you're eating a cookie. And the taste of banana is more subtle. Whole oats or steel cut oats are fine.

Directions:

  1. Preheat over to 350°F.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the egg, vanilla, water, and banana puree (or banana and butter) until blended and fluffy.
  3. Mix in dry ingredients (flour, oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda) and beat until well blended.
  4. Stir in chocolate chips with a spoon.
  5. Fill one teaspoon with rounded cookie dough and deposit onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  7. Cool for 10 minutes to let cookies set and become firm.
Rachel's Notes:
One thing to be aware of when spooning the cookies onto the baking sheet is that they spread out quite a bit on the sheet, so give them plenty of space to do so! The banana puree is the thing that does it, so you'll get cookies with a larger diameter should you use more banana puree.




Caramel Brownie Pies, or Brownie Cookies
(adapted slightly from here)

Ingredients:
(Brownie cookies, about 16 cookies)
One 12 oz bag of chocolate chips
3 Tbsp butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup pure cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

(Salted caramel filling)
1 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup fleur de sel caramel sauce (easily found at Trader Joe's)

Rachel's Notes:
I'll be completely honest here. I think the caramel filling is totally optional. The cookies really can stand alone. Also, the recipe makes TONS of filling, and it's almost too buttery for my tastes. If you really want to try the caramel filling, try replacing a little of the butter with a little more caramel sauce.

Directions:
(Brownie cookies)

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Melt approximately 7 ounces of chocolate and all of the butter in a saucepan over low heat while stirring gently. Set aside once completely melted and smooth.
  3. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy.
  4. Add in flour, baking powder, and melted chocolate and butter. Beat together until well blended. Let stand for 10 minutes.
  5. Spoon 1 Tbsp dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until puffed and cracked. Let cool completely.
I actually had some dough left over, so I made a couple extra and baked them separately to get this picture. Those cookies went directly into my tummy once they cooled.

(Salted caramel filling)
  1. Beat butter in a bowl until creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat together. Add caramel sauce and mix thoroughly.
  2. Spread a spoonful of filling onto one brownie cookie and top with another cookie to make a sandwich.
Caramel Brownie Pies, made by spooning 2 Tbsp dough onto a baking sheet for EXTRA LARGE cookies
Brownie Cookies: Delicious. Almost too delicious to share.
Next "Yummy in My Tummy":
Fruit smoothies and a salade aux fruits rouges: fruity desserts for those of you who maybe aren't such big fans of chocolate. :)

Peace, love, and brownie cookies slices of heaven,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment